December 2010, the Hertfordshire County Council said to all of Hertfordshire's schools "... we recommend that schools employ those coaches who meet minimum standards and are registered with CoachMark. CoachMark will be administered by the Herts Sports Partnership and it will apply to coaches who wish to work in schools, whether on a paid or voluntary basis." That means that coaches may find they are unable to work in Herts schools if they are not CoachMark coaches.
CoachMark is a scheme for all sports coaches in Hertfordshire, in particular those looking to work in schools and on funded projects. Herts Sport Partnership are collaborating on CoachMark with Hertfordshire County Council, to help coaches gain access to schools and to safeguard young people who take part in sporting activity. The new CoachMark scheme will:
- allow coaches to operate in schools across the county with just one CRB clearance from Hertfordshire County Council
- ensure that coaches working in schools have attained a minimum operating standard - known nationally as Minimum Standards for Deployment
- overcome potential problems caused by differences in interpretation of procedure between schools
- safeguard young people who take part in sport
For CoachMark clearance, coaches must individually register on the HSP CoachMark database and provide evidence that they meet minimum standards for deployment. These standards, agreed with Hertfordshire County Council, are in line with national guidance from sports coach UK and the national governing bodies for sport. The standards cover coaching qualifications, CRB disclosure, insurance,Safeguarding & Protecting Children education, references and commitment to a code of conduct.
Once registered on the HSP CoachMark database, coaches will need to have the relevant documentation verified to complete the process. Herts Sports Partnership staff can arrange to meet coaches to carry out the necessary checks, either at verification sessions or by appointment.
For further information, contact Rob Hardwick, Coaching Development Manager with the Herts Sports Partnership, on 01707 281204 or via email at Chris Samways, e: coachmark.@herts.ac.uk T: 01707 281004
- Upcoming EventsHerts Health Walks 2018; starting - 01st March, 2018
- Upcoming EventsActive Training World Running Events, starting: 04th March, 2018
- Upcoming EventsHertfordshire Year of Physical Activity 2018: November is 'Celebrate Sport' Month01st November, 2018
- Upcoming EventsHertfordshire Service to Sport Awards27th November, 2018