The Sport Makers programme is part of the People strand of Sport England’s Mass Participation Legacy programme Places People Play which was announced in November 2010.
Community Games - information, toolkits, e-learning
Sport Makers use the inspiration of London 2012 to recruit, train and deploy new sports volunteers aged 16 years and over to make sport happen across the country. Volunteers will have a positive and inspiring introduction to the world of sport volunteering via a series of workshops delivered locally by the Herts Sports Partnership.
These Sport Makers organise and support hundreds of thousands of new hours of grassroots sport, creating new opportunities across the country. The Sport Makers bring the Olympic and Paralympic values to life in every community and are a highly visible part of the London 2012 legacy. Nationally the aim is that 50,000 potential volunteers (around 1,000 in Herts) attend inspirational workshops, with 40,000 of these being deployed into a sports leadership role (over 800 in Herts) for a minimum of 10 hours of volunteering. It is aimed at those who are not currently choosing to volunteer in sport.
The Herts Sports Partnership workS with a range of partners to both identify volunteering roles and potential volunteers including:
- National Governing Bodies of sports and their clubs in Hertfordshire
- Community Sport Networks - like WHSPAA
- Hertfordshire Volunteer Centres
- Further Education Colleges and University of Hertfordshire
- School Leadership Academies (16+ Step into Sport students)
- Local Authority Sport Development Officers
- Public and Private sector employeers and their employees
Key dates for the launch of Sport Makers
- From 1st November 2011. Extensive programme of Sport Makers workshops held across Hertfordshire
See Herts Sports Partnership. website for workshops
For further information on Sport Makers contact Peter Simmons on 01707 281204 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upcoming EventsHertfordshire Year of Physical Activity 2018: March, Young People month01st January, 2018
- Upcoming EventsHerts Health Walks 201801st March, 2018
- Upcoming EventsActive Training World Running Events, starting: 04th March, 2018
- Upcoming EventsHerts Phoenix Athletic Club is holding an Open Meeting at Gosling Sports Park on Good Friday30th March, 2018
- Upcoming EventsHatfield parkrun having worldwide impact! The Ellenbrook Fields, Hatfield, parkrun will celebrate its centenary – 100 events – Saturday 7th April07th April, 2018
- Upcoming EventsThe Welwyn 10k and Fun Run29th June, 2018